Whistleblowers


Whistleblowing is defined as a person who exposes secretive information or activity that is deemed illegal, unethical, or not correct within a private or public organization. Whistleblowing is a controversial subject. It is definitely not something you want to be known for doing, yet it is the right thing to do. A famous, or infamous, whistleblowing case was with Daniel Ellsberg. He was an employee of the State Department in 1971 that leaked the Pentagon Papers, a secret account of documents pertaining to how the United States came to fight the Vietnam War.

Personally, I believe that whistleblowing is the right thing to do, but if it came down to it I can't lie and say that I would do it. If I worked for a very successful company that used insider trading, I most likely would turn a blind eye and move on. What I mean is that if it benefitted me financially to forget something I would easily do so. Ultimately not blowing the whistle in that particular situation would bring out the most well-being and the least amount of consequences besides a guilty conscience. It would be in my family and I's best interests to not lose my job.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/25/764010989/whistleblowing-is-really-in-our-dna-a-history-of-reporting-wrongdoing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google Antitrust Investigation

Eight Values of Free Expression